Bluebarb Muffins












Finally having some cooking luck again. Maybe it's because I started off the day with something else I'm really good at: breaking stuff in the kitchen. It must have marked the change in where my bad luck was located. It's been inhabiting my cooking. Now it has taken up residency in my dexterity. If I can just get through drinking the coffee without dropping mugs, sugar-bowls or glasses out of the cupboard with my pudgy, swollen, morning fingers, then everything is safe. But today, not so much. I love stopping to clean up broken porcelain before having caffeine. LOVE it. But, it's what I do, so on with the day.
I've been trying to come up with a use for this fresh rhubarb we picked in Vermont last weekend. This morning I came up with the idea of muffins. Especially since blueberries were 2-for-1 this week, so we have a bunch. Here's the concoction:
Bluebarb Muffins:
Dry:
¾ C whole wheat flour
¾ C all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Wet:
1 egg slightly beaten (for vegetarian sub with ¼ c applesauce)
1/3 C vegetable oil
½ tsp lemon juice
½ C 1% milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ C dark brown sugar

Filling:
1 C diced rhubarb
½ C blueberries
½ C Walnuts

Topping:
½ C dark brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ - 1/4C finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare buttermilk using ½ tsp lemon juice in measuring cup and adding milk to the ½ C line. Let set 5 minutes. Chop ¾ - 1 C walnuts in chopper and set aside. Measure out the fillings. Mix topping. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in small bowl. Add dry mix to wet, stir until just combined. Add fillings and fold in. Fill muffin tins almost full and top with topping, pressing down a little to secure it. Bake 25 minutes.

Comments

Trending Posts