Stir-Fry Corn Babies with Cashew Nuts

My body must be getting used to Bikram yoga. I don't go as much as I should, but at least I'm going somewhat regularly! The usual sequence of events following a class involves holding my s**t together breathing deeply all the way home (for some reason this yoga makes me feel crazy irritable afterwards), pounding a mango coconut Zico, showering (a second time), eating the first thing I see, and sitting on the couch dying - yet, feeling awesomely good at the same time. Tonight, I emerged from the shower and had enough energy and motivation to make something healthy for dinner. Apparently, as you practice Bikram, your body is supposed to naturally crave healthy food. I'm not sure if it was my body, or my brain telling me I have fresh vegetables and brown rice in the fridge. Whatever, it makes sense either way. It's not the perfect meal by Bikram's standards, considering the garlic, onions and salty soy sauce, but it's an improvement. It may be bland, by my husband's standards, but it hit the spot for both of us tonight. I hope I can get through typing the recipe before I collapse... I'm starting to feel my muscles aching now, and I still have to clean the kitchen.

Stir-Fry Vegetables with Cashew Nuts
1 T Vegetable / Canola Oil
1 small Onion, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 large Carrot, cut into sticks
1 C fresh Green Beans, trimmed, cut into 2" pieces (or snap them, more fun)
1 C fresh Baby Corn (large ones cut in half lengthwise)
Salt & Pepper 
Zest of 1 lemon
1 T margarine
3/4 C Vegetable Stock
1 T Lemon Juice
2 tsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce (Kikkoman - with the green label)
1/2 C raw Cashews

1. Heat oil over medium heat in a shallow pan. Add onions and saute about 4 minutes, and add garlic, cooking another 2 minutes and stirring.

2. Add carrots first and cook about 2 minutes while cutting the beans. Add beans for another 2 minutes, stirring.
3. Add baby corn and season everything with salt and pepper. Zest the lemon with a micro-plane over the pan and stir in.

4. Melt a pat of butter or margarine into the pan and then add the stock, lemon juice and soy sauce. Continue to stir from time to time over medium heat, about 5 minutes, while the vegetables absorb the sauce. Taste and season again if necessary. 

5. Add cashews to the pan for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, just to heat them through. 
6. Serve over brown rice, and garnish with thinly sliced green bean.

Comments

Trending Posts