French Breakfast Radishes

When we were in Paris we had brunch at Rose Bakery in Le Marais, and I discovered a new favorite food. The great thing about eating around the world, is that you inadvertently try new things. This popular brunch spot served scrambled eggs over cheese scones with two sides: green salad and radish salad. I've never been a fan of radishes. I was somehow unaware there were any varieties besides the spicy round ones I pick off salads. These looked similar to the radishes I know, but I decided to bite into one anyway. These were a totally different flavor - they had the crunch of the radish I know, but none of the spicy bite. They were like little bursts of crunchy freshness in between bites of egg and scone. I knew they were some kind of radish, but wasn't sure what they were called until I googled them at home.

After brunch that day, we went to the market to gather food for our Easter raclette. When I saw the radishes at the market I knew I could recreate the salad easily. I love when a dish shows off the main ingredient in such a way that you can look at it and know exactly what you're about to eat. So I kept it simple (which seems to be the food trend in Paris), and followed exactly what I had tasted the day before. I hope I can find them someday here in NYC, because I could really enjoy eating them every single day. 


French Breakfast Radish Salad
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 tsp Cider Vinegar
Salt (used Pink and Gray salts, but Sea Salt would work too)
Black Pepper
1 T fresh Parsley (flat leaf) Chopped

1. Remove tops from radishes, and wash in cold water to rub off the dirt. Slice each lengthwise in half.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and just blanch the radishes (drop in radishes, leave for 2 minutes).
3. Drain and rinse radishes immediately in cold water. 
4. Transfer radishes to a bowl, and drizzle with Olive Oil, 1-2 tsp cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. 
5. Toss with fresh parsley and serve in a bowl garnished with sprigs of parsley.

Comments

I just planted French Breakfast Radishes in my vegetable garden. I'll need to use them in this recipe!
Anonymous said…
I also have recently discovered the French breakfast radishes. There is a Mexican restaurant on 80th and 2nd Ave called Cascabel (great food by the way), and on their menu they have them as a light appetizer. They are spectacular, and instead of parsley they use cilantro, incredible! I have searched every supermarket in the city and cannot fin them anywhere so I can make them at home...let me know please which market you found them1 Thanks.
Deena Mehta said…
Hello,
The radishes in this post were from a green market in Paris. They do have them at Union Square farmer's market in one of the bigger stalls, at least in the spring/summer. I have found, though, that the ones I have gotten there are more spicy than those in France.

Next time I am on the UES I will look up Cascabel, sounds good! I can respect any restaurant putting good fresh vegetables on the menu as an app! -Deena

Trending Posts