Red Quinoa Mushroom Pilaf


This week, we confirmed dates for a trip to India for a family wedding. Aside from the stress of making all related arrangements, the most daunting news is that I'll be donning belly-bearing formalwear in T-minus 3 months!

This week was the getting-in-shape kick-off with several lunchtime cardio sessions and healthy foods. Next order of business is to get this acid-reflux problem I have under control before I'm completely surrounded by "trigger-foods" in India, as well as refreshing my vaccination status. 

At the beginning of week, I threw together a healthy pot of quinoa to get me through the work-week. There is a lack of healthy lunch options around my office, especially if you're not into salad (big acid reflux trigger), so bringing lunch is key to not getting side-tracked.

I wasn't too excited about it, because the first time I made this red quinoa it was a little bitter. I just kept telling myself it's a superfood, really good for me, and so healhty - but it actually came out delicious this time. I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row this week, and enjoyed it every single time. Maybe it was the fact that I put tons of baked chicken on top, but I thought it was really good.

Red Quinoa Mushroom Pilaf
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 4oz can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
2 C chicken stock
salt, pepper & adobo (or garlic powder) to taste
1 C Red Quinoa
½ C frozen peas (optional)

In a saucepan, sauté onion and celery in oil for a few about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, stirring for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and adobo seasoning to taste.

Add quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover for 10 minutes. Add peas and simmer another 5-10 minutes until stock is absorbed and quinoa releases white curlicues.

Stir to fluff before serving.
*Optional: toss in cooked chicken for a one-bowl meal

Comments

Trending Posts