Peanut Butter Everything Cookies




I've been so busy lately I have not had time to cook much, let alone write about it. But, I am getting excited for the holidays and food is definitely on my mind.

Last weekend was the first weekend off from work in a while for my husband and I. I made a point of going to the greenmarket to get inspired. Except, I didn't make anything grand with my findings, like I thought I would. Instead, I decided to make a batch of delicious everything cookies. Not only did I clean up my apartment finally, but also made a dent in the overstuffed pantry.

I came up with this cookie recipe a while back. You may even call it an un-recipe, because you can vary it up a bunch of ways and not screw it up.  I can't remember exactly, but I must have been trying to decide between making peanut butter cookies and oatmeal cookies.

Oatmeal cookies sometimes strike me as bland - so I usually add lots of filling goodies. Peanut butter cookies sometimes feel too oily or flat-tasting for me. So I combined both ideas, why not? Of course I put everything but the kitchen sink (or eggs) in them, because that's how I roll.

Peanut Butter Everything Cookies
approx. 3 dozen cookies

2 sticks margarine (or butter or Crisco)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
½ C sugar
¼ C Honey (optional, but very yummy)
1 cup peanut butter (or use 1/2 C almond + ½ C peanut)
1/2 C applesauce (or 2 eggs)
½ tsp vanilla extract

2  cups all-purpose flour (give or take – add more if mixture comes out too wet)
2 to 2-1/2 C old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick-cook)
1 tsp baking soda
 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon

1-1/2 C goodies: golden raisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, walnuts, peanuts, etc. 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).

2. In a large bowl, cream together first 7 ingredients (all wet ingredients) until smooth. 

3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. 

4. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until well combined. Mix in the goodies. 

5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

6. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until just light brown. Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet (they might fall apart). Eat immediately. (Or cool on racks).

Comments

Trending Posts