Spicy Tomato Soup with Coconut Yogurt and Avocado Grilled Cheese (Vegan)



I didn't even stop to rinse my dishes before sharing this delicious recipe with you. That's how good it was.

I've been craving grilled cheese and tomato soup for some time now, what with the dreary days of lingering winter weather. I wanted to add a little spice to the soup, especially since I'm looking for ways to utilize a big bag of peppers passed to me by my mother-in-law. But, you see, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to spice. So, I balanced it out with a little sugar and cooling coconut yogurt in the soup, and layered avocado into my grilled cheese. To completely cool off, and neutralize the acidity of the soup, I finished with a bowl of green honeydew melon with mint. I am hoping the melon's highly alkaline quality will counteract all the coffee and tomatoes I've ingested into my delicate tummy.

My goal was a simple lunch... the simplest lunch, really. The amazing combination of flavors and textures I ended up with far exceeded my expectations.





Jalepeño Tomato Soup
Serves: 4
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1-2 jalepeños, (2-3 tablespoons) seeded and sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil2 cups vegetable stock or no-chicken stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
sea salt, to taste

For serving:
unsweetened coconut yogurt, or yogurt of choice
cilantro leaves

1. In a medium to large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions 3-5 minutes.
2. Add jalepeños, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Remove from the heat and purée the whole soup until smooth.
5. Return the soup to the stovetop and stir in sugar and salt to taste, if needed.
6. Serve each bowl with a dollop of yogurt and a few small sprigs of chopped cilantro leaves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
*CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE RECIPE*
Vegan Avocado Grilled Cheese
Time: under 10 minutes

Ingredients:
Sliced bread
Avocado, sliced into 1/4" wedges
Tomato, thinly sliced
Vegan cheese slices (such as these American slices or Pepper Jack slices from Follow Your Heart)
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Garlic powder

Assemble each sandwich with sliced cheese, tomato and avocado. Season with pepper. Close the sandwich and drizzle the top with olive oil and garlic powder. 

Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add a little olive oil. Place the sandwich in the pan and cook until browned on both sides, and cheese is melted. 

Slice and serve hot.







Comments

Trending Posts