I woke up this morning with a yearning for baked goods. I thought that a nice crusty biscotti would go good with some fresh coffee, but I didn't feel like taking that much time and care to measure ingredients. So, I started with a box of pumpkin bread mix and added a few things to turn it into crusty wedges of autumnal biscotti.
Quick Pumpkin Cranberry Biscotti
allow 1 hour start to finish
yields about 20 wedges
1 Box Pillsbury Pumpkin Bread Mix
2 large eggs
1/2 C unsalted butter
2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1/2 C walnuts, chopped
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/4C all-purpose flour
1 egg white, slightly beaten with a fork
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a small saucepan, slowly melt 1 stick of butter over low heat and add chopped garlic to infuse with flavor. Do not let the butter bubble or cook, keep the heat very low. Remove from heat when melted and warm.
3. Combine bread mix, 2 eggs, and ginger-butter in a mixing bowl. Beat about 50 strokes with a spoon until everything is combined evenly and moistened.
4. Stir in the walnuts and cranberries.
5. Sprinkle flour on a clean surface or board, and turn the dough out of the bowl onto the surface. Sprinkle more flour over the ball and use your hands to form a more even ball shape. Cut the ball into halves.
6. Spray two small baking sheets with non-stick spray and place a dough ball on each one. Pat into a 9"x3" loaf with blunt ends, slightly flattening the top. Brush with egg whites.
7. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove and cool for 15 mintues, leaving the oven on.
8. Transfer loaves carefully to a cutting board, and slice across to form 3/4" wedges.
9. Place wedges cut side down on the baking sheets, leaving space between them. Bake at 350F for another 15-20 minutes - flipping them once for even crustiness. They should be firm all the way through, not bready in the center.
Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
|Finely Chop ginger and add to melting butter|
|Coarsely chop walnuts|
|Beat together baking mix, eggs, ginger-butter, walnuts & cranberries|
|Form into 9"x3" loaves on baking sheets|
|After 15 minutes at 350F, cool and slice into weges|
|Arrange wedges on baking sheets and bake for another 15-20 minutes.|
|Enjoy the crusty biscotti with coffee or tea|