Flat Beans with Garlic-Basil Sauce


When I saw these huge green beans at the market I thought they would have tough strings requiring lots of prep work. And then I noticed the sign: "String-less Flat Green Beans".

#1, this means I was right in my visual assumption.
#2, I must have found something special, hence requiring the informative sign.
#3, Quick, buy them, and figure out the rest later.

Another assumption I made is that if the bean is larger, it probably has a milder flavor. So I concocted an interesting sauce to dress it up. I can tell you I've eaten the leftovers twice already, and I'm not sick of them yet.

Measurements are not important here. I probably had about 3 cups of beans cut, and used 1 large clove of garlic, 1 really big shallot, and small pinches and dashes of everything else.

Garlic Mustard Flat Beans
String-less Flat Green Beans, rinsed, stem ends trimmed off, cut into 2" pieces
Garlic
Shallots
Olive Oil
Margarine
White Wine
Mustard (dry powder)
Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Lemon
Fresh Basil

Bring a pot of water and a bit of salt to a boil and add the beans. Boil about 5 minutes or until tender, they cook pretty fast.

Saute minced garlic and shallots in a little oil. When translucent, add a splash of wine and scrape up the bits from the pan. Add a little margarine, a sprinkle of mustard (the same amount as if you were using say, garlic powder), salt and pepper.

If you have the means to zest a lemon, shave about half the yellow off of one lemon into the pan. If not, no big deal. Cut into quarters and squeeze one over the pan and stir.

Add the drained beans to the pan, or the sauce to the beans, whichever is easier. Toss in a small handful of fresh chopped basil. Taste for seasoning, adjust if needed.

Comments

Trending Posts