Crispy Chik'n with Wild Mushroom Sauce


OK, I know I haven't been posting much lately, but c'mon -just today I had a quick holiday party at work, did 45 minutes at the gym and then came home to make dinner. It's now 9:30pm on a Monday, I'm tired, full, and I really need a cookie.

This post is about my latest Gardein Chik'n creation, which was awesome awesome (yes I meant to write that twice), but the real news is I GOT MY HUSBAND TO EAT BROCCOLI. And like it! The trick was using broccolini - the hybrid relative of the larger, thicker, more bitter variety. All I did was trim, blanch and then roast it with a little olive oil and seasoning salt. It tasted like a cross between broccoli and asparagus, but sweeter.

For the Chik'n I made a sauce from wild mushrooms, which we ate with my favorite Barilla Plus spaghetti. We still can't get on the wagon with whole wheat pasta, but I consider this the best compromise since it has Omega-3's.

Crispy Chik'n with Wild Mushroom Sauce
4 oz wild mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, oyster), sliced
1/4 C flour
2 T bread crumbs
dash of dried Oregano & Thyme
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 C yellow onion, diced (1/2 small onion)
1-2 T margarine (*omit or substitute w/ oil for vegan)
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/3 C white wine
1 C Vegetable Stock
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Combine flour, bread crumbs, oregano and thyme in a bowl and dredge each filet to coat.

2. Heat butter and oil in a skillet and sauté the filets over medium heat until browned on each side, and remove.

3. Add a bit more margarine if needed, and the garlic and onions. Cook 1 minute. 

4. Add mushrooms and a splash of the wine. Stir and cook about 5 minutes until softened.

5. Add the remaining wine and vegetable stock and cook about 2 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add salt & pepper if needed.

6. Nestle the filets onto the sauce, so the top stays crispy. Simmer another 2 or 3 minutes to heat them through.

7. Serve with pasta or noodles. Add red pepper flakes for heat if desired.

Comments

Trending Posts