East Meets Easter: Deviled Egg Summer Rolls


Once I learned to make summer rolls, I knew it was only a matter of time before I started asking myself: what else can you stuff inside a rice paper wrapper? This morning, as I was peeling some boiled eggs for breakfast, I thought, why not make some deviled eggs? Once they were stuffed and on the plate, inspiration hit me. Why not stuff them in a summer roll?

Forget that I was hungry, there was more important work to be done.

I'm pretty proud of myself right now. These are really really good. My friend Bess came over for lunch and I tested them out on her. She agrees, they are amazing.

So, if you're looking for a new twist on deviled eggs for your Easter party, these would be a great conversation starter. It's also a way to use up those leftover deviled eggs next Monday - but who the heck EVER has leftover deviled eggs? From my experience, they don't stick around too long.

Deviled Egg Summer Rolls

Basic Deviled Eggs:
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 T mayonnaise
salt & pepper

Summer Rolls:
6 round rice paper wrappers
12 halves of deviled eggs
4 large Boston lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
2 medium carrots, julienned
2 medium pickles (Claussen) sliced lengthwise
1/2 C fresh cilantro
1/4C chopped raw cashews
6 scallions, cut into 3" lengths (use green tops only)

Mustard-Soy Dipping Sauce:
2 T soy sauce (low sodium)
2 T dijon mustard
2 T rice wine vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
1/4 tsp Emeril's Essence spice mix

1. Prepare deviled eggs by slicing the hard-boiled eggs lengthwise and scooping the yokes into bowls. Add mustard, mayo, salt and pepper to the yolks and mash together with a fork. Spoon into the egg halves.

2. Prepare summer roll ingredients and arrange a work space with a pan of water and a cutting board. 


3. Soak a wrapper in warm water until it softens, and lay it on the cutting board. Place a half leaf of lettuce near bottom half of wrapper and layer with carrot, pickle, cashews, cilantro. Place long scallion tops toward the center of the wrapper. Top with 2 egg halves. 

 4. Roll the wrapper up burrito style by folding up the bottom edge up over the egg filling and folding the sides over. Continue to roll away from you. Cut in half and store in a container with moist paper towels (and refrigerate) until ready to serve.

5. Prepare the sauce: whisk together all of the sauce ingredients and serve topped with chopped green scallions.

Comments

Trending Posts