Vegan Coconut Pancakes from a Mix and Double Chocolate Chip Cookies: Upgrade to Coconut Oil

One of initiatives in eating more nutritious "clean" food is upgrading oils for cooking. I keep a jar of organic unrefined coconut oil that I mostly use as a home remedy for any number of skin issues. This week, I tried replacing vegetable oil with it.

We are still pretty hooked on flour and sugar, but sneaking in an oil upgrade was received well.

I baked cookies using coconut oil, and added both shredded coconut and coconut oil to our standard pancake mix. This all went over fine with the kids.



I followed this recipe from alidaskitchen.com, but made the mistake of adding 1/2 cup of dutch cocoa powder (and also butterscotch chips). My dough was just a bowl full of crumbs... oops! So I added 1 more egg and 1/4 cup more coconut oil and everything worked out fine in the end. I baked them a bit longer, too, because everyone liked the crunchy over-baked version better than the softer cookie you get from baking 8 minutes. Not bad, for a cookie with no butter.


You can't mess up Bob's Red Mill Multigrain Pancake mix. First, I made these vegan, just to see if my kids would still eat them. Then, I added shredded coconut and used melted coconut oil in place of vegetable oil. Really not bad - especially since we cover them in Vermont maple syrup!

For the coconut vegan pancakes from a mix:

1 cup pancake mix
1 cup water (you could also use your favorite non-dairy milk substitute)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (half a single-serve cup)
1/4 cup shredded organic unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon melted organic unrefined coconut oil

Confession: I have to add chocolate chips to get my kids to eat pancakes. I still have not mastered that challenge, except the 2 year old will pretty much eat anything with sprinkles on it. For myself, my only requirement is real maple syrup.

Do you have any favorite uses (cooking OR home remedies) for amazing Coconut Oil? Please comment and share!



Comments

Trending Posts