Apple Cider Purple Cabbage

Apple Cider Purple Cabbage (shown with Grilled Chicken Bratwurst & Roasted Dill Potatoes)

It's a little hard to experiment with side dishes when your fridge is bare. We'll be in Vermont for the holiday, so we're letting the supplies dwindle. We have leftovers for tonight, going our separate ways for dinners out tomorrow, Wednesday we'll eat with the in-laws, and Thursday we go. Meanwhile, here is a recipe requested often by my friends. Unfortunately, I've only recently begun to write down my recipes. So I'll never be able to recreate the holiday party version they long for, but this was an attempt that was close.


Apple Cider Purple Cabbage
2 T Veg oil

1 tsp of Mustard seeds

½ head of red cabbage, sliced into strips

1/4 tsp of paprika

1/4 tsp of coriander

salt

pepper
1/2C apple cider

2-3 T white wine vinegar

1 Tbsp sugar


Heat veg oil in big stock pot. Add Cabbage and spices, sauté for a few minutes. Add cider and vinegar. Season to taste. Simmer for 30min to 1 hr to desired tenderness. Garnish with some chives or dill.


*I would also suggest tossing in some apple chunks or raisins to enhance the sweetness of the cider.

*I only used 1/2 head of cabbage here, since an entire head can feed about 12 people. Even with half a head, I remember having way more leftovers than a single girl could handle.

Comments

Trending Posts