Side Dish Revived: Baby Brussels Sprouts with Herbs


The season of gluttony has arrived. It is the season of food-centric holidays. First we have Thanksgiving, then various holiday parties, Christmas and New Year's Eve. Soon after - the Superbowl. Each year my recipe database grows, I explore new ingredients and flavors, and I find my tastes and style evolving. However, the holidays are a time to pull out the old favorites, and traditional flavors. In the spirit of pre-Thanksgiving preparation, I'm going to try and revisit a few neglected recipes in my file (or from memory). I haven't made Brussels sprouts in a few years. Since then I have made a habit of keeping fresh herbs instead of dried, and they make a big difference.

Baby Brussels Sprouts with Herbs
1 pint Baby Brussels Sprouts – steamed or boiled
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of ½ lemon
1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh Thyme, chopped

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
Salt & Pepper

Steam Brussels sprouts in a bamboo steamer about 10-15 minutes, until tender. Leave whole or cut in half to absorb more flavors. Add oil and butter to skillet, and sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts and herbs and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add a little salt & pepper to taste. Add lemon juice to de-glaze, and toss everything together in pan. Serve garnished with lemon and fresh herbs on the side.

Comments

Trending Posts