Wild Alaskan Coho Salmon with Basil-Lime Pesto


Sorry guys -  not my best photos - but definitely good enough to eat!

Long story short....
I'm getting ready to leave for a 2 week trip to Dubai and India, so I've been packing and gathering. There's still more to do. I've just been soooo sick the last week that I have not been able to get much done. Something bacterial that's going around hit me hard. Fever, congestion, fatigue, and an eye and ear infection. The wrong medication hit me even harder, but I'm finally functional again after a Z-pack. Just waiting for my ear to stop ringing, hopefully in time to fly!

I have to confess this has caused me to fall off the mostly vegetarian / healthy eating wagon I've been on lately. I had even started to just lose weight without even trying! But after days of soup and not being able to cook, all I wanted was chicken fingers and fries, bacon, and steak. So today I'm easing back into the game with some healthy salmon.

Maybe I'm just freaking out because I know I'll be eating only vegetarian once we get to India. I love Indian food, but I have a hard time eating it twice in one day, let alone every meal 10 days straight.

Anyways, here's some yummy salmon for those of you who like fish, but kind of like to drown it in sauce.

Look how huge my basil plant's leaves have gotten! Time for pesto.

Salmon with Basil-Lime Pesto
*1 large serving - increase recipe per portion

Poached Salmon:
1 6-8oz wild salmon fillet (not farmed)
Sea salt
Peppercorns
Lime slices

Basil-Lime Pesto:
3 T Olive Oil
1 T fresh lime juice
3/4 C torn basil leaves
1/8 tsp fresh garlic
2 tsp pine nuts
pinch of sea salt

Delicious pesto!
1.  Prepare the pesto. Add all ingredients to a chopper or food processor and pulse until well blended. Adjust to taste if needed.

7oz Wild Coho fillet, ready for a hot bath.
2. Season the salmon with a dash of sea salt and ground pepper. Add water to a shallow skillet to about 1/2" deep. Add a few peppercorns, teaspoon of sea salt and a few lime slices. Bring to a boil.

Poaching liquid ready.
3. Lay the salmon fillet into the pan gently. Cover and reduce heat to simmer, about 10 minutes. Fish is cooked when it flakes with a fork at the fattest part. Remove to a plate with a spatula.





Comments

Trending Posts