Stuffed Portabellos over Arugula with Roasted Baby Yams

I didn't plan to make dinner tonight. But since the Fresh Direct order arrived, I decided to make something fresh and healthy (to make up for the potato sticks in my sandwich at lunch). I also had some things around I've been looking to use. Challenge: Arugula. Battle: White Wine. Go!

I tried a new twist on the classic marinated portobellos topped with tomatoes and cheese. I also had a package of wild arugula, which was complimentary in my last Fresh Direct order. Thing is, I hate arugula. Or so I thought. How to fix it? Since the arugula is so sharp and bitter, you have to balance it with strong flavors and something sweet. I also had some baby yams from a recent Trader Joe's trip, and half of a vidalia onion. Here's what I came up with:

Grilled Portobellos with Tomato Gouda Topping
Marinade for Mushrooms:
Sweet Chardonnay (I used what I was drinking: Chateau Lafayette Reneau)
Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
Lemon Zest
Salt
Red Pepper Flakes


Whisk equal parts wine & oil. Add salt, lemon zest and pepper flakes.

Topping for Mushrooms:
Campari Tomatoes (Campari Tomatoes make everything amazing)
Fresh basil, chiffonade (I used fresh from garden)
Fresh English Thyme – just a few leaves/baby sprigs (I used fresh from garden)
Olive Oil
Salt
Slices of Sheep’s Milk Gouda (I used Trader Joe’s)

Scrape gills off mushrooms and remove stems. Marinate for 20 minutes, turning to coat evenly. Place on hot grill pan covered with foil on low for 10 minutes. Flip and top. Cover and grill 5 more minutes until cheese melts. Top with extra basil.


Sweet Balsamic Arugula Salad
Dressing:
3 Tbsp C White Wine (Sweet Chardonnay – I used Chateau Lafayette Reneau)
¼ C Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Honey
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest
Kosher Salt

Whisk together ingredients.

Salad:
Arugula (I used Wild Rocket)

Chopped Campari Tomatoes (mix in a little fresh basil & thyme)
Toasted Cashews (start with raw cashews (unsalted) and toast)

Toss Arugula with dressing. Add dressing a little at a time so it is not soupy. Toss in tomatoes. Top with cashews right before serving.



Roasted Baby Yams with Vidalia Onions
Chop baby Yams and onions into small pieces. Add chopped garlic (small amount). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Roast at 450 for 30 minutes, stirring once.

Plan: 40 minutes
1. Preheat Oven to 450. Gather all ingredients on counter.
2. Prep marinade and mushrooms
3. Use extra garlic from mushroom marinade to add to yams. Prep yams and put in oven.
4. Prep tomato topping
5. Make salad dressing
6. Add cashews to oven to toast - remove after 5 minutes or when brown.
7. Put mushrooms on grill, gill side down 10 minutes.
8. Finish putting together salad. Use extra tomato topping for salad. Slice cheese for mushroom topping.
9. Top mushrooms and finish cooking.
10. Plate salad, add cashews. Add yams. Carefully remove mushrooms from grill with tongs and spatula, carefully place on salad. Top with fresh basil all over.


Comments

Trending Posts