Fatty Fatty Pignoli Potato Patty


Say goodbye to delicious looking photos of fried foods. I'm officially done with fried food. More like on a break, I guess. But it's so evil! How come delicious, fatty, fried things always taunt me so? Because I'm a genuine American - that's why - and I just can't help it! 

I should've noticed that I was in a rut when my canola oil started to disappear quicker than usual. Or when that extra weight hanging out on my sides and under my chin started to come back. Like an addict in denial, it took one final overdose to realize I was on a downward spiral into old ways. My poor husband will eat whatever I cook, so he was not to benefit from the situation, either.

Sunday I was back onto the fake meat wagon, after binge-mussel-eating and drinking copius amounts of Belgian beer for 8 hours on Saturday night. But a mild hangover leads you into dangerous territory with an appetite for fat and protein. I flipped through my new Tal Ronnen cookbook for a Gardein recipe, and it's no surprise I chose something breaded and fried. I had a lot of expensive pine-nut coating left after breading the "chicken", and I felt bad throwing it out. So I took out some leftover mashed cheddar potatoes and started plopping them in the mix, squishing as much as I could onto the patties. 

The "chicken" was an oily disappointment, since the recipe didn't use any binders and the breading falls off in the oil. But the breaded potato patties were pretty good - crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Next time I decide to splurge and make these, I would use olive oil instead.

Fatty Fatty Pignoli Potato Patties
Leftover Mashed Potatoes 
(I had Yukon Gold smashed, including skins, with cheddar and a bit of heavy cream mixed in)

Breading
Pulse in food processor / chopper:
1/4C Flour
1/4C Pine Nuts (Pignoli Nuts)
4 leaves Basil
Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper

Take mashed potatoes and form them into donut-hole sized balls. Roll them in the breading. Flatten into mini patties and keep pressing the breading onto them. 

Heat oil until a test bit of the potato or breading fries quickly when dropped in. Fry patties in oil on both sides until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.

Comments

Trending Posts