Scallops over Oyster Mushroom & Asparagus Noodles


There were these GIANT scallops at the fish counter in the Garden of Eden. They suggested to me that I might want to eat them with noodles. It was only natural that they insist on an oyster mushroom broth.

I agreed, since I'm sort of in noodle withdrawal after coming back from Shanghai. Noodles were a safety food there, but they were also really good. I took the inspiration of all the brothy, noodly, vegetably, seafoody goodness of those foods, and tossed them all together without taking much time to think about it. The scallops told me to.

I definitely need to work on my noodle skills. I haven't been interested in cooking Asian food in a while, since that's what we order take-out, and it's pretty cheap also. But it's always better when you can make something at home, since you know what's going into it. Once I figure out how to give my noodles a bit more flavor, I'll be good to go. For now, I can't complain, they were mild, but pretty tasty. 


Scallops over Oyster Mushroom & Asparagus Noodles
Scallops
Salt, Pepper
Sesame Seeds
Butter

Dried Chinese Egg Noodles (they look like yellow nests of angel hair pasta)

Oyster Mushrooms
Garlic
Scallions, white parts sliced, green parts reserved for garnish.
Asparagus (or other vegetable)
Water
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Pepper, Cayenne, Red Pepper Flakes
1. Place noodles in warm water and soak 20 minutes.

2. Saute garlic and scallions in a tiny bit of oil for 2 minutes over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and asparagus and cook 2 minutes. 

3. Add about 1/3 C water and cover, simmering 10 minutes over med heat. 

4. Add a little more water if needed to make more broth. Add soy sauce a dash at a time, and seasonings to taste. Lower heat and simmer another 10 minutes.

5. Bring a pot of water to a boil for the noodles, and add the noodles when the scallops are cooking. Boil for 3 minutes.

6. Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with salt, pepper and sesame seeds. Saute in butter until opaque.

7. Drain the noodles and mix together with the mushroom sauce, tossing gently. Serve topped with scallops, sesame seeds, green scallions and crushed red pepper flakes.


Comments

Trending Posts